4/04/2007

Test Painting: Uglier Patches

I promised uglier examples of my attempts to do patch paintings.

This one is pretty ugly at this stage, with parts half sanded off and crudely-meeting patches, and photo glare makes it a little hard to see.  The darkest patch comes from the Asteroid Belt pelt painting this one cannibalized.  It was 60 by 48 inches.

I might have been able to get away with a few isolated patches (no real meeting), or by taping off a checkerboard pattern (interleaving two paintings).  But I'd have to gamble a good painting on the tiny chance the overlaid one would work with it.

I like the distressed lizard skin look of the blue here, and the way the center looks like a deformed South America.  I'm not real suggestible, but put those two together and I get a "sea serpent off Cape Horn" feeling right away.

And I've always liked photos that use the painting as landscape, like just above.  Notice the new dark patch in the distance.

Below is the ugliest shot; the angle is interesting for the layered look, like a sandwich.  When you are a low-rent alchemist (process painter), there's no telling what will crawl from the cauldron.  Luckily, a certain satisfaction comes from making something really ugly too.