11/30/2006

Passion of the Torture 2

I went back and improved the video I mentioned earlier enough to show it here.  The yellow tint makes a difference for me; the color in the original was too cold and creepy, like a fresh knife wound.

In Mel Gibson's World, pain is love.  And he loves seeing Jesus in pain.

I think this was doomed from the beginning.  I wanted to show the unrelenting nature of Mel's blood lust, so I sped through a lot of quantity, and jerky samples are irritating to watch.  But I wasn't going to pick through his footage and build a different story, and couldn't take a slow, close look without getting knee-deep in his sadistic glee.

A lot of (most?) ideas sound better than they turn out.  E.g., another movie idea I tested, of It's a Wonderful Life at 32x speed, did not feel at all like a life flashing before your eyes...